In proctology, you are referred to the study, research, and therapies directed at the lower region of the gastrointestinal system. The Gastrointestinal Tract is considered the essential system in the human body since it is involved in various processes that lead to the performance of vital bodily functions. Therefore, a single error in any step of the process might cause the abdominal function to be disrupted, resulting in pain or discomfort.
What types of conditions do they treat?
- Abscesses and fistulae. These are infections near the anus and rectum.
- Anal skin tags. These are small bumps of skin around the anus.
- Colon and rectal cancer. This cancer begins in the colon or rectum.
- Diverticulitis. This is a disease in which pouches form in weak spots along the digestive tract.
- Fissures. These are small tears in the anal lining.
- Hemorrhoids. These are swollen veins that can occur internally or externally around the anus.
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). IBD is a group of inflammatory disorders that includes ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease.
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). IBS is a group of intestinal symptoms unrelated to IBD that can include bloating, cramping, constipation, and diarrhea.
- Polyps. These are precancerous growths that have the potential to become colorectal cancer.
- Rectal prolapse. This is a condition in which the rectum begins to fall from its position into the anal opening.